Sunday, October 31, 2010

We did the Mash ... the Monster Mash


I have always loved a good party. Years ago, I'd put on my coolest outfit, get ready to hear some great music, dance and hopefully scout out a cute guy.

Well, things have changed a bit. I still love a great party - and I went to one just the other day. I put on a pretty cool outfit, I heard some great music, danced and I did leave with the cutest guy.

I was an organizer for my son's second grade Halloween party. And while it was very fun, I must say it took every organizational skill I have learned through years of working in the corporate world.

Working with grown-ups is one thing. Sure, they may disagree with you, but there's always that sense of decorum. They don't stamp their feet, stick their fingers in their ears and run away when there's an argument. They don't walk backwards and fall down. (Most of them, at least). They don't like to open their mouths really wide so everyone can see their chewed-up doughnuts. And most of them can sit still - at least for more than a minute or two.

It was a nice to see, however, that no one was typing on a Blackberry while I was teaching them to make Tootsie Pop ghosts.

But once I adjusted to the culture shock, we had loads of fun. I dressed up like a witch, much to the children's delight. We made crafts, played pin-the-nose-on-the-jack-o-lantern, hid Mr. Bones and reassembled him, danced the Monster Mash, ate doughnuts and drank apple juice. I got to walk in the annual Halloween parade, which twists through the local neighborhoods. That was a surprise. If I'd known the volunteers walked along, I would have worn sneakers, and not the appropriate, yet uncomfortable, witch boots.

And I haven't heard my name pronounced so creatively since my last visit to the license bureau. Mrs. Majeheske? Mrs. Pahewske? Mrs. Majajewske? Sean's mom?

At the end, I was exhausted. And sweaty. And ready to go to work. I couldn't wait to show everyone how a chewed-up doughnut looks in my mouth.

p.s. Happy Halloween!!

No comments:

Post a Comment