Wednesday, November 17, 2010

And a quick little girl follow-up ...

So yesterday I wrote a post about a little girl at my son's elementary school who approached me in the morning, looking a little confused and asking about breakfast.

Yesterday, I didn't feel like I helped her enough. So I tried to redeem myself today.

Using those years of reporting skills that I knew would come in handy someday, I found out the girl's full name. I stopped in at the office and spoke to the exceptionally nice principal, who is usually accessible right before school starts. He sat down, took out a pad of paper and a pen, and asked me what was on my mind.

I told him about my concerns. "I know that it's not the school's responsibility to see a child eats breakfast ...." I started.

He stopped me. "Actually, I think it is," he said flatly. "We want to make sure every child has a good breakfast."

That surprised me. So I continued. "But it was the fact the girl seemed so confused that bothered me so much, I guess."

We talked a little bit. He said he would talk to the girl's teacher, and they would keep an eye on the situation.

I left, feeling better but also hoping I hadn't been labeled a major meddler. When I got to the car, I saw that in my haste to get to the school that morning, I'd only applied my lipstick - which is not exactly subtle - to about half my lips.

I had to laugh. I didn't look like a meddler. I just looked like little Sean's crazy mom. I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment