Sunday, November 14, 2010

Whoa, Santa - I need Thanksgiving first


In the grocery store, I heard Christmas carols playing. On a walk through the neighborhood in the early evening, I saw a few houses already lit up in red and green. And then the other day, my son said what I was thinking: "Boy, nobody really remembers Thanksgiving, do they, mom?"

I think he's right. Sorry, pilgrims. Too bad, Squanto, keep your corn. No offense, but your holiday has fallen by the wayside. We love Halloween. We adore Christmas. But Thanksgiving - ehh... not so much.

Halloween, after all, is that first holiday in fall. We're ready. The weather is crisp, the decorations are amazing, there's so much candy - I mean, what's not to like? And Christmas? Well, just about everybody loves that. Lights, songs, presents, toys ... whether you celebrate it for Santa or Jesus or both, Christmas is one glamorous holiday.

And the faster it gets here, the sooner we'll find that coveted peaceful joy-to-the-world feeling, right?

But I'm not sure it works that way. This year, I saw Christmas decorations in the store before Halloween. And it didn't make me feel good at all. It made me anxious. It made me feel like time was passing faster and faster and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

Besides, I need Thanksgiving. It gives me a chance to catch my breath before the cacophony of Christmas. I don't want to buy Christmas toys in July. In fact, I don't think that I could - I think there is something in my DNA that would physically prevent me.

Besides, right after Thanksgiving is my boy's birthday, and I'm told (by the birthday boy) that there should be some party planning afoot.

So Thanksgiving, I won't forget you. I will keep out my harvest wreath and fall leaves while others opt for their holly and lights. I will have my stuffed turkeys on the windowsill and a harvest angel on the shelf. And on Thanksgiving, we'll have food and family and give thanks and dig in.

Then we'll take a deep breath and move full speed ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment